Monday, March 11, 2013

Seperating Heart from Work

One of the discussions that our class had in law school is a debate on what kind of lawyer would be more effective. The choice is between one who invests his emotions in his case and his client or one who detaches himself from the client and the case.

I could no longer remember the kind of lawyer that I chose but now that I am turning three in my law practice I have faced this dilemma twice already. You see I am not a person who goes through the motion of my work. I invest who I am to what I do but this same passion and commitment at some point paralyzed me and made me think of abandoning my practice. The first time was when one of my pro bono client died in prison and now when one of my client was allegedly abducted after he was recently released from prison.

I was so distraught then I am in such a bind now.

Sometimes I wish that I could just stop feeling for my clients and for my cases so that I would no longer have these moments of self searching where abandoning litigation becomes an option.

But I guess my husband is right that if I will be this affected I would no longer be an effective lawyer to those clients who still need my services.

I guess if it is a choice between an all feeling lawyer and a detached one I would choose neither. 

I  think I can be a more effective lawyer when I am passionate but I need to be more rationale. The point I guess is creating a balance between feeling and being numb.

For if my feelings could lead to inaction, it would be better for me to be numb but taking useful action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment